Vision, Mission and Functions
The Ecosystems Research and Development Bureau (ERDB) is the principal research and development (R & D) unit of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR). Its R & D and extension activities are focused on the five major ecosystems of the Philippines which include forests, upland farms, grassland and degraded areas, coastal zone and freshwater, and urban areas.
The ERDB was created in June 1987 under Executive Order (EO) 192 that merged the function of the former Forest Research Institute (FORI) and the National Mangrove Committee. Its headquarters is located at the University of the Philippines Los Baños, College of Forestry and Natural Resources (UPLB-CFNR) campus in the municipality of Los Baños, province of Laguna, Philippines about 65 kms south of Manila.
Relevant research, development and extension towards a healthy environment and sustainable natural resources for an improved quality of life.
To provide appropriate technology and information through research, development and extension towards the enhanced productivity and sustainability of natural resources and protection of the environment for the improvement of quality of life of the Filipinos
ERDB Main Office Functions
- formulates, implements, coordinates and evaluated integrated research, development and extension agenda/programs on environment and natural resources (ENR) and other related cross-cutting concerns to address the needs of the various sectors in support of the thrusts and programs of the Department;
- conduct basic researches and develop standards, protocol and science-based technologies to address the needs o the different DENR Bureaus, end-users and stakeholders;
- provide technical assistance by developing and maintaining networks and linkages with DENR bureaus and offices, local and international institutions, other stakeholders and civil society; and
- perform other functions that may be assigned by higher authorities.
ERDB Research Centers’ Functions
- formulate, implement and monitor and evaluate applied and action-oriented Environment and Natural Resources-Research, Development and Extension Programs/Activities/Projects (ENR-RDE PAPs) on the watershed, water resources, lands, agroforestry and upland farming systems, biodiversity, coastal areas, wetlands and ecotourism,, mining and degraded areas, forests and timber resources and toxic wastes and management of hazardous;
- pilot test and verify the standards and protocols developed by ERDB-MO;
- provide the latter feedbacks towards their improvement;
- conduct coordination and networking services with RDE stakeholders; and
- provide technical assistance and extension services on ENR technologies.