The Ecosystems Research and Development Bureau (ERDB) is the principal research and development (R & D) unit of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR). Its R & D and extension activities are focused on the five major ecosystems of the Philippines which include forests, upland farms, grassland and degraded areas, coastal zone and freshwater, and urban areas.
The ERDB was created in June 1987 under Executive Order (EO) 192 that merged the function of the former Forest Research Institute (FORI) and the National Mangrove Committee. Its headquarters is located at the University of the Philippines Los Baños, College of Forestry and Natural Resources (UPLB-CFNR) campus in the municipality of Los Baños, province of Laguna, Philippines about 65 kms south of Manila.
ERDB's vision is "Excellence in research and development on the environment and natural resources." Its mission is to provide relevant technology and information through research towards sustainability and enhanced productivity of the natural resources and protection of the environment for the improvement of the quality of life of the Filipino people. In carrying out the mission, ERDB has the following mandates/functions:
- Formulates and recommends integrated research programs relating to Philippine ecosystems and natural resources;
- Assists the DENR Secretary in determining a system of priorities for the allocation of resources to various technological programs of the Department;
- Generates technologies and provides scientific assistance in the R & D of technologies relevant to sustainable use of Philippine ecosystems and natural resources;
- Provides technical assistance in the implementation and monitoring of research programs;
- Coordinates all technological resources undertaken by all regional research offices of the DENR; and
- Assesses and translates all recommendable findings into understandable language and presentation and disseminates these findings to all users and clientele.
The ERDB coordinates with various government agencies, non-government organizations (NGOs), local government units (LGUs) and other entities in the performance of its functions. It closely links with DENR field research units that undertake R & D activities on specific and priority areas of investigation within their territorial jurisdiction.
ERDB's Divisions and Units