The Ecosystems Research and Development Bureau (ERDB) is the principal research and development (R & D) unit of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR). Its R & D and extension activities are focused on the five major ecosystems of the Philippines which include forests, upland farms, grassland and degraded areas, coastal zone and freshwater, and urban areas.
The ERDB was created in June 1987 under Executive Order (EO) 192 that merged the function of the former Forest Research Institute (FORI) and the National Mangrove Committee. Its headquarters is located at the University of the Philippines Los Baños, College of Forestry and Natural Resources (UPLB-CFNR) campus in the municipality of Los Baños, province of Laguna, Philippines about 65 kms south of Manila.
ERDB's vision is "Relevant research, development and extension towards a healthy environment and sustainable natural resources for an improved quality of life." Its mission is to provide appropriate technology and information through research, development and extension towards the enhanced productivity and sustainability of natural resources and protection of the environment for the improvement of quality of life of the Filipinos. In carrying out the mission, ERDB has the following mandates/functions:
ERDB-Main Office Functions
ERDB Research Centers Functions
- formulates, implements, coordinates and evaluates integrated research, development and extension agenda/programs on environment and natural resources (ENR) and other related cross-cutting concerns to address the needs of the various sectors in support of the thrusts and programs of the Department;
- conducts basic researches and develops standards, protocol and science-based technologies to address the needs of the different DENR Bureaus, end-users and stakeholders;
- provides technical assistance by developing and maintaining networks and linkages with DENR bureaus and offices, local and international institutions, other stakeholders and civil society; and
- performs other functions that may be assigned by higher authorities.
- formulates, implements, monitors and evaluates applied and action-oriented Environment and Natural Resources-Research, Development and Extension Programs/Activities/Projects (ENR-RDE PAPs) on the watersheds, water, lands, agroforestry and upland farming systems, biodiversity, coastal areas, wetlands and ecotourism, mining and degraded areas, forests and timber resources, and management of toxic substances and hazardous waste;
- pilot tests and verifies the standards and protocols developed by ERDB-Main Office;
- provides feedbacks towards their improvement;
- conducts coordination and networking services with RDE stakeholders; and
- provides technical assistance and extension services on ENR technologies.
The ERDB coordinates with various government agencies, non-government organizations (NGOs), local government units (LGUs) and other entities in the performance of its functions. It closely links with DENR field research units that undertake R & D activities on specific and priority areas of investigation within their territorial jurisdiction.
ERDB's Organizational Structure